Thursday, December 13, 2012

Uncontested Divorce- How to Avoid Going to Court

Beginning July 1, 2012, the Virginia Code allows for certain uncontested divorces to be done by written depositions.  These depositions must be signed and notarized by one party to the case and one witness.  Then, the depositions are submitted to the court in lieu of a party and witness having to appear in person. 

This is a great option for someone who does not like going to court (which is most people).  It is also beneficial in that you do not have to take a day off work nor sit and wait in a stuffy courtroom only to have everyone else waiting in the courtroom hear your business when your turn comes.

If this is something you are interested in, contact the team at Hadley Law, PLC at 757-498-1800.  We handle uncontested divorces and will do written depositions for your case, if your case qualifies.

Monday, October 22, 2012

Family Immigration

Being alone in the United States without your family can be a very difficult experience.  There is homesickness, new cultures, and you have your support structure far from you.  There are remedies to this, however.  If you are hold a green card or are a U.S. Citizen, then you can petition for certain family members to join you here, in the United States.  Who you can petition for makes a difference depending on whether you are a U.S. Citizen or a Permanent Resident.

Only U.S. Citizens may petition for extended family members in the first, third and fourth preference categories.  Permanent Residents may only petition for their spouses, children under the age of 21, and adult, unmarried sons and daughters.

There are four family-sponsored preference categories:

  • FIRST Preference: Unmarried sons and daughters over the age of 21 of U.S. Citizens;
  • SECOND Preference: Spouses, children and unmarried sons and daughters of permanent residents;
  • THIRD Preference: Married sons and daughters of U.S. citizens and their spouses and children; and
  • FOURTH Preference: Brothers adn sisters of U.S.citizens at least 21 years of age, and their spouses and children.
If you are here legally in the United States and you would like to petition for a family member to join you, we can help! Call us today for a free consultation at Hadley Law, PLC (757) 498-1800.

Monday, October 8, 2012

How your New Job will Affect your Child Support

If you are a stay at home parent in Virginia with primary physical custody of your child(ren), you may not get as much child support as you would were you working outside of the home.  There are two reasons for this:

(1) The way that the Commonwealth of Virginia calculates child support guidelines, the higher the combined income of both parents, the larger the need to support the child; and

(2) Work-related child care costs are included in child support guidelines.  For example, if you pay $1200 per month in work-related child care costs and you earn 30% of the combined income between you and the other parent, then you would receive an additional $840 per month in child support as the custodial parent.

With that being said, do not let the fear of receiving less child support stop you from taking that new job offer!

If you have a child support case and are in need of legal counsel, call attorney Cherish Hadley at Hadley Law, PLC for a free consultation at 757-498-1800.