Monday, October 22, 2012

Family Immigration

Being alone in the United States without your family can be a very difficult experience.  There is homesickness, new cultures, and you have your support structure far from you.  There are remedies to this, however.  If you are hold a green card or are a U.S. Citizen, then you can petition for certain family members to join you here, in the United States.  Who you can petition for makes a difference depending on whether you are a U.S. Citizen or a Permanent Resident.

Only U.S. Citizens may petition for extended family members in the first, third and fourth preference categories.  Permanent Residents may only petition for their spouses, children under the age of 21, and adult, unmarried sons and daughters.

There are four family-sponsored preference categories:

  • FIRST Preference: Unmarried sons and daughters over the age of 21 of U.S. Citizens;
  • SECOND Preference: Spouses, children and unmarried sons and daughters of permanent residents;
  • THIRD Preference: Married sons and daughters of U.S. citizens and their spouses and children; and
  • FOURTH Preference: Brothers adn sisters of U.S.citizens at least 21 years of age, and their spouses and children.
If you are here legally in the United States and you would like to petition for a family member to join you, we can help! Call us today for a free consultation at Hadley Law, PLC (757) 498-1800.

No comments:

Post a Comment